Do you want to keep your food items fresh to use it for a longer time period? Here is what you need to know.
Do you know there are ways with which you can keep your food fresh for long? If you store them the right way, you can keep them in good condition longer than expected. A few food items will hang around in your refrigerator for longer so that you can use them whenever you wish to. Also, are you aware that storing food items affects their taste as well? If you don’t store them in an appropriate way, then their taste may change a bit.
It is an undeniable fact that the prices of food items are rising significantly. Hence, you should prevent them from getting rotten. This way they will not land up in your bin. Let us know more facts that reveal the secret of keeping food fresh for longer.
Keeping food fresh for longer
There are several items that we can keep fresh for a longer time period. Let us know about a few of them.
- Bananas – You can save the bananas from rotting. Do you know how? Just cover the crown of this fruit with the help of a cling wrap. A gas known as ethylene is produced by this fruit that makes it ripe quickly. When the stem.is covered, you prevent the gas from reaching other parts of the fruit. Keep in mind not to detach the stem, or else the fruit will get brown rapidly.
- Onions – We all know that onions can’t be kept after you cut them. You have to eat then right away or they go waste. But we know some things, and what you know is wrong. The storage life of onions is reduced because of a lack of oxygen. Onions last longer when they are stored in a place that is dry, dark and cool. Hence, to keep them fresh for long, wrap them in a newspaper, or store them in a paper bag. Punch holes in them for air to pass.
- Cheese – Yummy! I love cheese but hate the fact that you cannot store them in your refrigerator for long. They tend to lose their elasticity. Also, while storing them in plastic wraps, their taste changes and they are no more in their original form. So, what can you do to keep them fresh and in the original condition? Use parchment paper. They are the best to be used for storing and keeping cheese fresh. Keep in mind, not to wrap them either too loose or too light. Just the right fit, and it is all set.
- Spices – Cumin, Garam Masala, Coriander, Turmeric, Black Pepper, etc. these are a few spices that we need in our kitchen cupboard at any point in time. To store them, we often place them in our kitchen cabinets. Light reaching the cabinets has the ability to destroy the potency of our spices. Hence, we should not store them in light. Air, Light, heat and moisture are the foes of spices. Therefore, store them in a place away from their enemies.
- Lemons – People use lemons very frequently, and they are well-loved. So, there are tips with which you can keep them juicy and fresh for long. You cannot just shove them in the refrigerator to store them. Also, consider keeping them in a zip lock pouch and seal them tightly. It is also recommended that you can keep them immersed in water to preserve moistness.
If you are a cooking freak and love to do an experiment with a normal way of cooking, then you will need ingredients to do so. It is not possible to go out and buy things every now and then. Hence, by trying to keep things fresh, you can use them whenever required.